Get the source video/audio files at http://tarpley.net/?p=3949
Press TV: Syria has agreed to a peace plan by Kofi Annan but how much does it correspond to the crisis in Syria?
Tarpley: The problem with the peace plan is that it fails to recognize that the origin of the problem are these foreign death squads, NATO-backed death squads, that have been introduced into the country over the last year or more and of course they have gathered a certain amount of indigenous population, people with various grievances against the regime.
Therefore, we cannot imagine that there is anybody to negotiate with and this, I think, is the problem. Who can Assad actually negotiate with? Now a looming ominously behind all of this is what is coming on Sunday is this conference of the co-called 'Friends of Syria', this time in Istanbul after the failure of the one in Tunisia.
They are now attempting it for a second time and they are trying to make sure that this one does not fail the way that the previous one did. We are reading all about this in the columns of Al Akhbar of Beirut.
What is planned is this buffer zone, in other words, the Turkish armed forces or Gendarmerie will seize a part of northern Syria and make that into a safe haven for these death squads and that they can regroup and continue their attacks into Syria.
Look at this Istanbul conference. On the surface, it looks like a coalition of the willing as we had in the previous decade ten years ago to attack Iraq. This one looks more and more like the Munich conference of September 1938, the one with [Adolf] Hitler, [Benito] Mussolini, [Neville] Chamberlin and [Edouard] Daladier.
In those days, the goal was to carve Czechoslovakia and today it is Syria. In those days, the buffer zone was called the Sudetenland and today it is called the northern area around Idlib. Russia was not invited to that one; Russia will not be invited to this one.
The people in Turkey are now very unhappy with Erdogan. I think Prime Minister Erdogan is very much on the hot seat because of his very bungling administration on this crisis.
According to the Turkish press, Erdogan had been conned by Obama in effect. Erdogan had been told by Obama in those phone calls that we hear so much about that Obama is constantly on the phone to Erdogan.
Obama had convinced Erdogan that the Syrian government of Assad Ba'ath Party was about to fall several months ago. Now that has not happened. There is a growing awareness in the Turkish parties, in the CHP Party and also in other parties, that Assad is not about to fall and therefore, Erdogan has crawled all the way out on a limb as a result of this foolish decision.
We have also got Devlet Bahceli of the Nationalist Party, one of the main opposition parties has pointed again to that meeting of Obama with Erdogan in South Korea in the last day or two, when Erdogan said that he agrees 100 percent on Syria with Obama. That is very ominous.
And what Mr. Bahceli points to is that there is a secret plan now for the occupation of Syria and the dismemberment of it including the creation of a Kurdish entity, as he calls it a peshmerga in the northern part of Syria which is going to be a tremendous problem for Turkey then because by now, you have got a kind of independent Kurdish entity in northern Iraq if you add that to the one in Syria, those might begin to coalesce, that will then pose the question of the breakup of the Turkish state and Erdogan is the one who has gotten Turkey into this fix.
Press TV: Do you expect these efforts to succeed the fact of regime change?
Tarpley: No, I do not think so because this so-called Syrian National Council is of course a bad joke. They have a split; they have a schism every week. They have been called upon to accept the Kofi Annan plan and all the imperialists want them to accept it and they refuse to accept it.
They do not even give lip service to the idea of negotiating with Assad. They say that that is too late. Now in the deeper level, what the Syrian government is asking for and I think quite correctly so is what assurances are there that if the Syrian government declares a ceasefire that these death squads and their supporters will also stop shooting.
There are no such assurances. The second thing is if you are going to pacify this situation, what assurance is there that the armed rebels, terrorists really, inside Syria are going to allow themselves to be disarmed and then turn around and take part in the campaign for parliamentary elections which are currently scheduled for the 7 May. No assurance of that either.
When Hilary Clinton today says that the Syrian army has got to get out of these cities, this is completely one-sided; this is this old [villain] approach that the West has had to this. It is simply ignoring the fact that there are death squads on the ground and that NATO put them there.
Underwear Bomber was Working for the CIA as Secret Agent! Expect more TSA Groping at Airports
Bomber involved in plot to attack US-bound jet was working as an informer with Saudi intelligence and the CIA, it has emerged
A would-be "underwear bomber" involved in a plot to attack a US-based jet was in fact working as an undercover informer with Saudi intelligence and the CIA, it has emerged.
The revelation is the latest twist in an increasingly bizarre story about the disruption of an apparent attempt by al-Qaida to strike at a high-profile American target using a sophisticated device hidden in the clothing of an attacker.
The plot, which the White House said on Monday had involved the seizing of an underwear bomb by authorities in the Middle East sometime in the last 10 days, had caused alarm throughout the US.
It has also been linked to a suspected US drone strike in Yemen where two Yemeni members of al-Qaida were killed by a missile attack on their car on Sunday, one of them a senior militant, Fahd Mohammed Ahmed al-Quso.
But the news that the individual at the heart of the bomb plot was in fact an informer for US intelligence is likely to raise just as many questions as it answers.
Citing US and Yemeni officials, Associated Press reported that the unnamed informant was working under cover for the Saudis and the CIA when he was given the bomb, which was of a new non-metallic type aimed at getting past airport security.
The informant then turned the device over to his handlers and has left Yemen, the officials told the news agency. The LA Times, which first broke the news that the plot had been a "sting operation", said that the bomb plan had also provided the intelligence leads that allowed the strike on Quso.
Earlier John Brennan, Barack Obama's top counter-terrorism adviser and a former CIA official, told ABC's Good Morning America that authorities are "confident that neither the device nor the intended user of this device pose a threat to us".
US officials have said the plot was detected in its early stages and that no American airliner was ever at risk.
The FBI is conducting forensic tests on the bomb as a first step towards discovering whether it would have cleared existing airport scanning systems. Dianne Feinstein, the Democratic senator for California who heads the Senate intelligence committee, gave an early hint when she said that she had been briefed about the device which she called "undetectable".
But AP quoted an unnamed US official as saying current detection methods probably would have spotted the shape of the explosive in the latest device.
Just how major an escalation in threat is posed by the bomb remains unclear. Security sources have told news agencies that it was a step up in levels of sophistication from the original underwear bomb that was used in a failed attempt to blow up an airliner over Detroit on Christmas Day in 2009.
The device used a more refined detonation system, and Brennan said "it was a threat from a standpoint of the design".
When it comes to who made the device the focus is on an al-Qaida's offshoot, Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). Matthew Levitt, a counter-terrorism expert at the Washington Institute, said that the interception of the plot amounted to a significant achievement for US security agencies.
He said: "The FBI is holding the device, which suggests that this was done by having boots on the ground. This was a sophisticated operation that shows we are making in-roads in serious places."
Levitt, who was involved as a senior analyst in the FBI's investigation into 9/11, said that it was natural to be sceptical in a presidential election year about security announcements. "But this was not political, it didn't come from the White House and my sense was that it was a really unique success," he said.
Levitt said that the spotlight would now be even more intense on Ibrahim Hassan al-Asiri, AQAP's assumed bomb-making chief, who is thought to be hiding out in Yemen.
Asiri is believed to have been the creator of the Detroit underwear bomb as well as explosives that were packed into printer cartridges bound for Chicago in 2010.
tags: news 2012 bomb plot double agent attack secret working america official device threat public airspace terror terrorist new 2 cia underwear bomber latest hilary clinton airplane 911 al-qaeda explode deadly death intelligence america u.s. united states master maker most wanted drone strike middle east war ww3 operation british security travel traveling nwo new world order illuminati bilderberg group freedom matrix wake up real world alex jones infowars gerald celente trend trends trendy 829speedy
Those who vetoed UN Security Council resolution against Syria, have blood on their hands, say the US and the UK.
What lies ahead for the Arab nations struggling with months of violence?
Will foreign countries interfere directly in Syria like what they did in Libya?
Will they continue arming Anti-Syrian government forces?
Will President Assad overcome this crisis without foreign intervention?
On this edition of News Analysis we are looking into the reasons behind Russia and China's opposition.